Sunday, November 24, 2013

The Emperor's New Clothes

The Family School, Literature 1.5

Have you ever read President Benson's classic talk called, "Beware of Pride"?
You can read it here.
It is excellent.
We discussed it for this lesson.
I made the kids a handout for their notebooks.



Then we read "The Emperor's New Clothes"
What a funny fairy tale!
You can read it here.

Pride makes us want to be better than others.
It leads us away from truth.
The Emperor wanted to be better than everyone else.
He was so prideful, he could not see the truth.
This ended up being rather embarrassing for him!
I drew this for the kids to color.

While they colored they watched this.

We did this lesson for family school, but I think it would be an excellent Family Home Evening too!

I hope you enjoy it!

You can get the PDF here at my Teacher's Pay Teacher's store (it's free).  

If you would rather not get it from my Teacher's Pay Teacher's store, let me know in the comments and I will put the PDF on my blog as well.


And here are my cool-o-roonies.





Molly made this picture for Baba and Dedo.  
She insisted that I take a picture and put it on the blog.


Have an aimless daze!


5 comments:

  1. Thank you!! Thank you!! Thank you Molly!!! Can I tell you how much we LOVE your picture??!! I wish we were there so you could tell us all about it. WOW!! You are a great artist!! We love all the people you drew and the towers and the birds and the smiles on the towers and people. We LOVE what a happy picture it is. We most of all love our beautiful Molly standing right there beside it. Thank you so much for doing all that work to draw us such an amazing picture. We love that you had Mommy put it on the blog. We sure are a lucky Baba and Dedo to have our Molly who we love and love! We can't get enough pictures of the cool-o-roonies. Molly made a very cool crown. Love the hand out on pride, which will be going in my journal. I have that talk printed out and in my talk collection to keep and read over and over again. We are very blessed to have such inspired reminders!! We miss and love you all so much!! Would love to be eating turkey with you this Thursday!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness your kids are getting so old! They are as beautiful and as handsome as ever. Man I miss you guys. I'm SO glad that you have started this blog. You inspire me Jena-- so thank you so much for sharing.
    I LOVE Pres. Benson's talk on pride--- it's is so powerful. It has a special place in my heart because my dad had a copy of that talk in his briefcase and his scripture case so that he could read it at any time. I love the lesson idea and I would love to use it for my own family. You are the best. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that your dad had that talk in his scripture case! That is so neat. What a great thing to remember about him. I love how much he still teaches you!

      Delete
  3. What a great way it is that you tie all the components of the lessons together! You know, anyone could learn from those lessons, not just kids. Speaking of which, your cool-o-roonies are super cool! Great pics! Molly is becoming an artist like her Mom! I remember when I first was read the story about the Emperor's New Clothes, I laughed at such a silly emperor. Thanks for the Benson talk. You know, I'd just been puzzling over some issues like pride -- I just couldn't seem to get a handle on it, but now I see it's because I didn't understand what the word really meant. Pres. Benson explained it so well and so fully. Thank you so much. (Love you so much too!)

    ReplyDelete